While I have been under the weather this past week, I knew that I couldn’t let a third Friday go by without the Quick Bites! The Rodeo may have come and gone, but with the arrival of March Contemporary Art Month (CAM) is in full effect. Be sure to check the schedule for all local gallery openings and exhibits. On to the Quick Bites!
- Mellow Mushroom recently opened in Stone Oak and offers some tasty pizzas and variety of beers on tap. Originating in Atlanta, GA in the 70s, as the hippy-esque name might imply, the pizzeria is known for having a strong food philosophy and creating one of the “greenest” pizza boxes out there. All that is fine and good, but how is the pizza? It is groovy man – the crust is thick and has a brown color and the sauce is delicious. We tried the gourmet white (Olive oil and garlic base with sun-dried tomatoes (wish they had more of these on it), Provolone, feta and mozzarella cheeses, Roma tomatoes and onions) as well as making our own version of a supreme with marinara sauce. Although a little pricy, this pizza is worth getting when you are looking for something a little different.
- Chef Andrew Weissman made it on the cover of the San Antonio Current. Look for his latest restaurant, The Luxury, down on the North River by the San Antonio Museum of Art. Weissman tweeted that “all product made in house, locally sourced and organic when available.” Check out the opening menu here.
- Giving up meat on Fridays for Lent and sick of all the fish? Why don’t you get yourself down to Lüke on the River Walk and take advantage of their Friday Crawfish Boil. Served every Friday in March starting at night until they run out, it’s a traditional Louisiana style boil that runs you $5/pound. I am getting hungry for these “mud bugs” just thinking about it.
- Green Vegetarian Cuisine is opening this Sunday at the historic Pearl Brewery. Green brings delicious and affordable vegetarian comfort food to their diverse and growing community of customers. As San Antonio’s only 100% Kosher Vegetarian restaurant, Green strives to provide a wide range of options for vegetarians, vegans and omnivores alike in order to promote healthier choices.
- The fifth San Antonio Neighborhood Instameet will be happening this Saturday morning in Brackenridge Park. Folks are invited to meet up at the Bombay Bicycle Club at 11AM and grab a brew before heading out to explore the park and surrounding areas. There will be prizes for the winning photographers, including a giftcard to the Bombay Bicycle Club! Hope you can make it and check out posts from the previous instameets by clicking here.